Songs of the Week [Christmas Special]


Ho! Ho! Ho!

It's the week of Christmas.

Time to belt out your favourite Christmas tunes. I've picked my favourite ten song for today's Songs of the Week Christmas Special.

I bet your all busy decorating and wrapping presents, so let's just dive straight into the music - just click play on the playlist and read why I choose these particular songs.

Here's the list:



Ho! Ho! Ho! - Elton John
This song features on the only non-classic Christmas CD my mum owns, therefore I have heard that song a lot since I was a little and just love it, because it sounds like the perfect Christmas party is going on.

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Bing Crosby and others
Who doesn't love Rudolph? I mean common! A song about the best reindeer of them all, it has to be on the list. 

Winter Wonderland - Tony Bennett
This is one of the favourite Christmas songs from my mum and I grow up to love it as well. I love the story it tells and the musical arrangement is amazing. I can't wait to walk in a winter wonderland, if it gets cold one day...

All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
I told about my favourite Christmas films last week and if you saw that Love Actually is on that list, you might have an idea about why this song is on the playist. It reminds me of the film. And it reminds me that Christmas is the time, when everyone just wants to be with their loved ones.

Adeste Fideles - Nat King Cole
Adeste Fideles is probably my favourite classic Christmas song. I love when the choir sings it in church (in Latin or German) and all the other versions out there are beautiful as well. It's only topped by Silent Night, but I refuse to listen to it on other days then Christmas Eve, so it can't make the list.
Back to Adeste Fideles: I'm always amused how different it sounds, when English speaking people sing in Latin compared to German people singing in Latin.

Save Christmas Day For Me - Red Sky July
Red Sky July's new version of Save Christmas Day For Me is so so beautiful. I could listen to it all day long. It just sounds so cosy and heartwarming.

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues, Kirsty MacColl
Even though I somehow don't get all the lyrics, I adore this song. The sound of it is great and the parts of the vocals I understand are good as well. It's festive and it just belongs into everyone's Christmas playlist!

Christmas Lights - Coldplay
If you love Coldplay, you've got to add this one as well. It's beautifully done. A great Christmas song with the special Coldplay touch. Perfect.

Fröhliche Weihnacht überall - Helene Fischer
This was my absolute favourite, when I was a kid and I still love it. That's why it's the only German song to make the list. It's so much fun and puts me into Christmas mood, as soon as I hear it. I'm not too fond of this version, but it's the only decent one on Spotify.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - Olly Murs
I love this song. And I started to love it even more when one of my favourite artists covered it. This version is just great and I listen to it a lot.

I think it's the perfect end for the Christmas Special playlist. I really wish it could be Christmas everyday.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, I'll be back blogging in the new year!

Love
Julia x

Follow

1 comment :